[aklug] Re: test

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Thu Jul 08 2010 - 22:22:41 AKDT

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> I agree. But before I started using gmail, whatever I posted to the list
> got returned to me by the list and I saw it just like I saw everyone
> else's.
>
> When I first started to use gmail, I wasn't seeing my own posts to the
> list anymore and I spent 2 or 3 days embarrassing myself with "test"
> posts and canceling and re-singing up before Jon R figured out that I
> must not be seeing what I was sending and said something. :-)

This could very probably explained by greylisting. I certainly can't
speak for the UAA Library anymore (who hosts this list) since I haven't
worked for them since 2003, but I know that many organizations, especially
larger ones like Gmail have implemented greylisting within the past 2-3
years.

Since this is a highly technical list I won't bore everyone with a
description of greylisting, but I will say that Google can provide what
you need if you're not already familiar with it.

Mike