[aklug] Re: Online learning

From: Aaron A. <akbeancounter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jun 27 2010 - 18:05:23 AKDT

On Jun 26, 2010, at 1:49 PM, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:

> I ran across this very recently
>=20
> OpenCourseWare
> http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/most-visited-courses/

I'm a big fan of OCW, both the courses themselves and the underlying philoso=
phy. I took their Intro to Programming, and I thought it was a big improvem=
ent over the classes I'd taken at State U. In two semesters of C++ we'd nev=
er even discussed time complexity, so I was learning new material within the=
 first few hours. They also have an introductory Lisp (Scheme) course, base=
d on Abelson & Sussman's classic _Structure and Interpretation of Computer P=
rograms_; the course includes lecture notes, tests, and video lectures from t=
he authors themselves.

Being a product of MIT, the math and engineering classes are very well thoug=
ht out and presented. Outside of those areas, I have noticed a few courses t=
hat provide little more than a list of objectives and a list of textbooks. =
Fortunately, they're always adding and improving courses, so those are becom=
ing rare exceptions.=