[aklug] Re: Heckuvu short in the arm for Truecrypt

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Sun Jun 27 2010 - 17:37:16 AKDT

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 03:51:27PM -0800, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> That was supposed to be "shot in the arm", not short. Oh well.
>
> I just found the article interesting because it seems like I regularly
> run into people that tell me that encryption on computers is pointless
> because the government can crack anything out there in short order.
>
> I do believe the government does have the resources to break a lot of
> it. Somewhere they might actually have what it takes to crack was was
> talked about in the article. I think stuff has to be of a high enough
> priority for the government expend the required resources.
>
> I don't believe there is any lock out there that is 100% secure. Whether
> it is on a computer, your front door, or securing your snowmachine.
>
> What we can do is make it secure enough the the effort expended to get
> the prize is more costly than what the prize is worth.
>
> I don't believe I have, or likely ever will have, anything the FBI will
> spend a year of resources to breach.

I hear ya. Where we live, we have to be concerned with a slightly higher
order of thug than the FBI or CIA. And let's not kid ourselves ... spending
resources on what sane, normal human beings think is too costly is just
the exact thing that governments do every single day.

Peace,
Bruce

--
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterward. But properly learned, the lesson forever changes