[aklug] Re: Reasonable average server load?

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Wed Jun 23 2010 - 11:31:41 AKDT

Arthur Corliss said the following, on 6/23/2010 11:24 AM:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Christopher Howard wrote:

> System load is a good basic indicator and should ideally not get over 1.0,
> since that means you have processes in the run queue that are ready to run,
> but are blocking.

Two caveats:

1. Multiple processors or cores can yield different non-blocking loads.

For example, on some OSes, pegging four CPUs using only four processes
will yield a load of 4.0 on some OSes (with nothing blocking).

2. If this is a virtualized environment, the activity visible to you
(even as root) may only represent a small fraction of the actual
processes and I/O running on the system.

Royce