[aklug] Re: clearwire in anchorage

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Wed Jun 09 2010 - 18:51:07 AKDT

On 06/08/2010 08:12 AM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Christopher Kunzler wrote:
>
>> Down to .4 Mb/s
>> http://www.speedtest.net/result/840360511.png
>
> To be fair (I run that speednet server in Anchorage) if you do a traceroute
> odds are you're looping your traffic through the L48 just to get it across
> town. The lack of peering agreements in Alaska is just downright asinine.

When I first moved up here I moved my frustration on peering problems between ISPs into
potential business opportunities. Whats the use of complaining about anything if you can
make money compensating for it :) It's a shame I couldn't find a trusty person to fund
the initial part of it. I've been involved from a fly-in-the-wall perspective (MTA/GCI
hang out on IRC :)) and seen the peering problems go away as it happened.. Probably should
have toasted it publicly.

Even with peering there is still a 'critical service' market for multi-homed systems. BGP
doesn't fix packet origination problems.. but having 4 different IPs mapping to your
server do.