[aklug] Re: clearwire in anchorage

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Wed Jun 09 2010 - 18:40:18 AKDT

Note.. I'm catching up with aklug.. frowny faced.

On 06/07/2010 11:49 AM, Peter Michael wrote:
> Go with ACS wireless connection then, its a bit more expensive but much more reliable.
> All Clearwire Reps are in out of state locations, they have no local rep save the characters at the mall and Best Buy who hawk the service.

Did they close the Clearwire store on Denali ST? BTW my company as well as many others
can sell Clearwire service without needing direct clearwire representation, it's just a modem.

> I had Clearwire and 4 cellphone towers one East one West and two to the North, all within a mile of my home and the reception from Clearwire was so bad I ended up getting a GCI cable connection and just paying out my Clearwire contract till it ended. They were atrocious, would perform unannounced repairs on weekends and take the system down without warning and I was harassed by their telemarketers who got my mail address from them. They were recently involved in bait and switch tactics to sell services as well so beware...

Not all towers have clearwire radios on them. Clearwire uses its own frequency, its own
radio type, its own everything. I doubt they could have added several sector panel
antennas onto of every cell tower in Anchorage along side the cellular providers that
makes soooo muuuuch moooore money to support infrastructure. (Ask my wallet)

> I would not recommend Clearwire to anybody ever.

It seems to have good bang for the buck.. not everybody wants things packed into a cell
phone at 9th generation speeds and this product works well for simplicity sake.