[aklug] Re: Alaska peering

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 14:29:12 AKDT

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 02:10:22PM -0800, Royce Williams wrote:
> Bruce Hill wrote, on 6/8/2010 1:53 PM:
> > We live in China. Google's little political stunts don't fool anyone
> > there. The Great Chinese Firewall blocks YouTube incoming. We can tunnel
> > to a proxy in Virginia and bypass it easily enough. But then Google (owner
> > of YouTube) checks your packets (must have flash and java for YouTube) and
> > when they see the packets bound for China, they block it. So yes, Google,
> > just like MSN and Yahoo, are evil liars to the core. What else is new?
> > Just don't buy into their whining about China censorship.
>
> I'm not a Google apologist, but is it widely known that Google is doing
> this, and is it clear that it is happening deliberately (and not some
> issue somewhere else?)
>
> Royce

Yes, it is widely known. Granted, "widely known" to me means the community
of geeks who use Linux. Otherwise, who can say?

It is common knowledge, that has been in the press even, that Yahoo has
given private information about customers to the Chinese government which
resulted in imprisonment for persons. These persons were not breaking any
law, but were speaking their mind about the government of China. It is not
illegal to say what they said, but that does not keep the government from
arresting, and even killing, such persons (they call them dissidents).

Freedom is very quickly fleeing America like a bad plague. I'll be glad to
get back to China next week, where we know where we stand with the
government, and they don't violate the Constitution unchecked. We also
don't have an illegal alien resident in the highest office. We feel much
safer as American citizens living in China, rather than visiting the USSA.

Bruce

--
May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering!
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the