[aklug] Re: down-versioning an intall in ubuntu?

From: bdk <bdk@thirdmason.com>
Date: Sat May 22 2010 - 19:56:00 AKDT

"man aptitude"

<..snip..>

            To select a particular version of the package, append
“=<version>” to the package name: for instance, “aptitude install
apt=0.3.1”. Similarly, to select a package from a particular archive,
append “/<archive>” to the package name: for instance, “aptitude install
apt/experimental”.

You may also want to 'hold' that version to prevent future upgrades. I
had to do something along that line to get Cacti and RRDtools working
under Deb5. Deb5's Cacti (0.8.7b) required RRDtools 1.2.x but 1.3.x was
in Deb5. I ended up forcing the install of the older version of rrdtools
via 'dpkg-install' and then telling aptitude to 'hold' that version to
prevent any upgrade to 1.3.x

-Sean