[aklug] Re: ACS wieless internet

From: Michael Fowler <michael@shoebox.net>
Date: Fri Apr 02 2010 - 14:12:27 AKDT

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 03:15:03PM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> OT, but ... any difference for Linux, between the Franklin CDU680 and Novatel
> MC7690 USB modems.

The CDU680 is a bit of a pain in Linux. It comes with utilities that
don't work; there's a connection program that generates a config file
for wvdial, and then deletes it when it's done, which makes it difficult
to debug or change settings. It has an odd interface for changing from
drive mode to modem mode; from what I can tell most devices just require
an unmount and eject, this requires a (deprecated) ioctl. I have
ditched the tools provided by the flash drive, and even written a
drive/modem mode switcher that's a little more robust, if you do decide to
go down that path.

I haven't used the MC760, but it should be just a matter of ejecting the
device, then firing up your dialer of choice.

If you can manage it, get a Novatel Mifi. It appears ACS is selling
them, and they are worlds easier to use than a modem; you simply connect
to a wifi hotspot, and you have internet access over EVDO.

--
Michael Fowler
www.shoebox.net