[aklug] Re: Gotta get me an i7

From: Christopher E. Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Tue Mar 30 2010 - 12:17:16 AKDT

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:

> On Monday 29 March 2010, Christopher Howard elucidated thus:
>> Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
>>> On Monday 29 March 2010, Christopher Howard elucidated thus:
>>>
>>> Five? Wow...I seem to remember Linus T. bragging back in the day
>>> that his four processor system (this was when multi-CPU systems,
>>> especially

>>> I/O bound.
>>>
>>> Can I find a citation for that? No...just going off memory.

>> Really? Guess I'm just used to the hour/two-hour jobs on all my old
>> dual-cores and Pentium IIIs at home. I only passed in the -j7
>> makeopt... probably could have tweaked it more.
>
> Actually, the supposed optimal number is num_cores+1, so you should
> pass -j8 :)
>
>> Of course, there probably wasn't quite as much source code to build
>> back then...
>
> Right, 2.5 minutes back then, 5 minutes now...serious code growth.
> Hmm...did you compile *all* the modules? That would add some serious
> time as device support has grown by leaps and bounds. If you only
> compiled the drivers for your machine (i.e. only the needed modules or
> a monolithic kernel) then it would probably be REALLY fast.

There is a large I/O factor here. I remember clocking 2.4 kernel builds
at 2 min 35 sec on a dual PIII 500, but this system had a hardware raid
array of 10k cheetas.

Last time I looked, the build time for recent 2.6 was ranging from just
under 2 to a little under 3 minutes on my quad 2Ghz opteron, and it was
totally I/O limited.