[aklug] Re: Gotta get me an i7

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 17:24:26 AKDT

On Monday 29 March 2010, Christopher Howard elucidated thus:
> Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > On Monday 29 March 2010, Christopher Howard elucidated thus:
> >> So, at work I'm setting up a Gentoo system on an HP with an i7
> >> processor (with eight virtual cores). I passed in -j7 as a make
> >> option, and it built the whole bloody kernel, modules and
> >> everything, in five minutes. Sweetness.
> >
> > Five? Wow...I seem to remember Linus T. bragging back in the day
> > that his four processor system (this was when multi-CPU systems,
> > especially
> >
> >> 2, were especially rare) only took 2.5 minutes. Must be seriously
> >
> > I/O bound.
> >
> > Can I find a citation for that? No...just going off memory.

> Really? Guess I'm just used to the hour/two-hour jobs on all my old
> dual-cores and Pentium IIIs at home. I only passed in the -j7
> makeopt... probably could have tweaked it more.

Actually, the supposed optimal number is num_cores+1, so you should
pass -j8 :)

> Of course, there probably wasn't quite as much source code to build
> back then...

Right, 2.5 minutes back then, 5 minutes now...serious code growth.
Hmm...did you compile *all* the modules? That would add some serious
time as device support has grown by leaps and bounds. If you only
compiled the drivers for your machine (i.e. only the needed modules or
a monolithic kernel) then it would probably be REALLY fast.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A