[aklug] dd-wrt & buffalo router

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 15 2010 - 13:36:14 AKDT

I finally got DD-WRT, Open Source Linux router project, working on my
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router. I had brought it along to the last couple of
Friday Night sessions intending to work on it, but it seemed I always
got sidetracked.

Still figuring out whats available on it, but it does appear to have
quit a bit more than the original firmware available. It is also very
professional in appearance. I see why Buffalo is going to that for the
standard firmware.

Once I actually did it, it wasn't bad. I spent a lot of time looking at
it because was nervous about turning the whole thing into a brick.

The largest difficulty I had with it is that I have a package on my
laptop called "ifplugd". It is a package targeted at laptops and assumes
they regularly change their network connection. They're mobile!

One of the things ifplugd does is monitor the network connection and
automatically "unconfigure" the network interface when it detects the
cable being unplugged (or router turning off).

In order to load the firmware, you first power down the router. Then as
the router is being powered back up, you give the command to upload the
new firmware over the network connection.

The setup instructions I was attempting to use apparently assumed the
computer would keep the same IP address when the router was turned off
and didn't mention the computer being used to upload the firmware should
be set to a static IP. The first couple of times I tried it, I didn't
realize ifplugd (had forgotten it was even there) was unconfiguring my
IP address and tftp was then unable to communicate with the router as it
was powering up.

Jim G