[aklug] Re: What is germane to this list

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 12 2010 - 15:06:16 AKST

Linux users come from an diverse set of people with different
backgrounds. Some hate Microsoft, some love using Unix, and some are
hobbiest, and some are programmers who love to tinker and learn new
things.

I personally switched to Linux 12 years ago because I was upset with
stability issues with Windows 98 and expensive licensing to learn
c/c++ when Gnu C/C++ was free with Linux. I liked how I can do things
my way with the amount of tools and apis were mind blowing and were
... for free!

Today, I have an MCSE and see why people need and want MS products and
ecosystems. Windows is much better today. No company or set of
products are perfect but some things MS does well and some things open
source does better. My attitude is whatever works works. My opinion is
MS Office is best of the breed while Linux makes a much better server.

We do not know why SQL Server in your previous post crashed. Could
Linux and mysql handle the same load with the same hardware? We do not
know, though my guess would probably be a big no.

Different technologies fragment Linux and the open source community
too. PostgreSQl vs Mysql, Apache vs Jboss, php vs Java, etc. I do not
like religious arguments and prefer this mailing list to be neutral as
I do not want to be associated agaisn't any technology or
organization.

I suppose it would be appropriate to ask for troubleshooting a SQL
server app at work.