[aklug] What is germane to this list

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Thu Mar 11 2010 - 13:50:13 AKST

Since I received the note below I thought it worthwhile to inquire as to what is
or is not germane to the list.
I posted the material on zangle because a number of list members have discussed
this at some length on list (i.e. the degree to which open software and tools
have penetrated ASD) and because, as ASD is a major corporate entity in our
community its reliance on Microsoft servers and applications to conduct business
is a matter of concern for those involved in the linux and open software community.

On another front, the nature of the architecture implemented is typical of MS
regimes and an example of why a greater exploitation of *ix in those environs
would benefit the entire community.

I don't see this material as any more political than the spats of linux
evangelizing that go through the list from time to time. The list is profiled as
follows: "Alaska Linux Users Group - we promote, share, help and advise on the
use of Open Source." I certainly believe that an enterprise decision to reject
open source products by a major employer in our community is germane to same, as
well as the repercussions of such a rejection.

I also posted regarding ASD's netbook adoption, which Leif, based on my
understanding of his argument, would find just as objectionable, but which would
appear to be just as germane.

I don't want to post inappropriately. If I have angered the aklug gods, mea
culpa, and someone should point me to something a bit less subjective than the
rubric above....

And I think I am no more a "dude" than Leif is a "hep cat" - but go figure lol

On 3/11/2010 1:21 PM, Leif Sawyer wrote:
> Dude.
>
> So you have a beef with ASD.
>
> Doesn't belong on AKLUG.
>

> Please keep the political stuff off the tech web.

-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature