[aklug] Re: AKLUG and others

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 09:13:33 AKST

Marc Grober wrote:
> Lol-I had most of that included in HS programming class-could not get
> any buy in from district as they focus on AP (ie the worst of java)
> and "web design" and such at KCC, code for learn very little about HTML.
>
> In talking to a CS teacher at a small outside college, they were very
> excited about my focus on simulating the real world client,boss,serf
> paradigm, lol, as they were realizing their kids were not prepared.
>
> On the other hand, I did a stint at a small tech focused program, and
> I'd have to say they were so focused on certs that many of their grads
> could not see forest for the trees.

I'm experiencing this with a few people as well. A little education
seems to be all they need to feel confident in their abilities but have
absolutely no idea what they are doing. I'm trying not to be relative -
they really have no idea what they are doing. Make me a web page =
"Sure, do we have enough dreamweaver licenses? I didn't know we had
Microsoft servers.. faaancy...". This is happening quite a bit lately
and people are going after the certs but have no real motivation to test
things on their own outside of a CS lab or motivation to understand the
motivation that brought us what we use today.

On the job training is where I got much of my experience and I'm
personally having a hard time finding time reciprocating this to some
newbz here at work. Looking back I realized that neither did my mentors
- they simply gave me something interesting enough to work on. Turns
out that 90% of my time on the job was spent trying to understand why
the problem exists in the first place and most of my time outside of
work was spent working on a solution.

I'm not sure if this thread should fork or not. I believe many of us
believe there is a very large problem with inspiring non-motivated
persons to do at least one thing they are interested in that can support
them.

- Shane