[aklug] Re: AKLUG and others

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 07:25:18 AKST

Royce Williams said, on 03/05/2010 07:20 AM:
>>> And, for those zealots, I'll only be using ViM to code the site. Any good
>>> tutorials online that you guys would suggest?
>
> Look into the "syntax on" setting in .vimrc so that your chosen language
> is intelligently colored, quoting/grouping errors are immediately
> obvious, comments are differently colored, FIXME and TODO are
> highlighted, etc.

Sorry, I was assuming that you didn't have a lot of vim experience; that
 may not be true. But barreling ahead on that thread anyway ...

Also make use of the automatic indenting and un-indenting available with
the > (open angle bracket) and < (close angle bracket) keys. Going to
the top of a 'paragraph', hitting >, and then hitting } ("until end of
paragraph") indents the whole thing; <} un-indents. Very handy. You
can use the range operators (3,5, "current line" (.), etc.)

ViM is no IDE, but it has some ways to make things easier.

Royce