[aklug] Re: AKLUG and others

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 07:22:03 AKST

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us> wrote:

> I'd go so far to say: if you took just about any energetic,
> self-motivated young programmer, put him in a house with an Internet
> connection, and gave him the financial means to do nothing but study
> programming on his own for four years, he would become a programming
> genius and make any UAF CS graduate look like a drop-out script-kiddie.
> And heck, I wouldn't mind trying that myself, but unfortunately I have
> not yet found a backer. So I learn what I can in my spare time (a.k.a.,
> breaks from my regular homework.)

This is why I like to ask about personal accomplishments when
interviewing people, sadly I haven't been allowed to interview anybody
as my assistant at my current job. It's very important that they say
something other than "Well in class we did x,y,and z.". In reality I
want to hear "Well.. My roomate totally snuck a tattoo onto my back
while I was super focused on this new game I'm developing in a
language nobody has heard of".

Motivation is everything in this industry. If you don't have it
you're just an over-glorified router/word processor.

- Shane