[aklug] Re: Who u gonna call

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 21:16:49 AKST

On 03/04/2010 08:52 PM, Marc Grober wrote:
> Speaking of what one might look for in an employee.... I had an
> interview with someone half my age who, after making the mistake of
> asking me to describe all my hardware and software experience, posed
> the following hypothetical: "A user calls you and tells you she can't
> print. What is your response?" My answer? "I'd ask if she'd tried
> cursive." Or to put things another way, when asked the diff between
> MAN and WAN the obviously correct response is ????

As someone that's been on the other side of the interview table several
times, I have to say it's really a challenge to come up with
comprehensive questions that will give you a good idea whether a
'contestant' knows what they're talking about or just blowing smoke.
Finding that balance is no mean trick.

We had several interviewees tell us our questions were really tough. To
break the tension at the end of one interview we posed the question
"We're known for our potlucks. What would you bring."

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska