[aklug] Re: AKLUG and others

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 14:43:38 AKST

On Thursday 04 March 2010, barsalou elucidated thus:
> Quoting William Attwood <wattwood@gmail.com>:
> > I'm on a lot of technical mailing lists, some of which have
> > hundreds to thousands of subscribers. Out of them all, AKLUG is
> > the only one where I find a core knowledge base such as the OCI
> > layer or TCP/IP stack in practice between members. This is the
> > only list I've found that people dig deeper into subjects and deal
> > closer with core technologies, instead of just babbling about the
> > latest Google software or help with introductory design patterns..
> > I just wanted you all to know that. While this list isn't a large
> > one, the knowledge base is much greater than many lists I'm a
> > member of.
> > Keep it strong, Alaska.

I think this is because a lot of AK LUG's users are made of of people
who are techs/geeks, and not just programmers. Nothing against
programmers (I am one), but I find a lot of programmers (or
even "computer technicians") know very little about the underlying
technolog(y|ies) they use. Take a random PHP (please! :), C#, or even
Python programmer that has just learned the language and does not have
a background in all things computer. They will know very little about
CPUs, registers, the protocol stack (HTTP, IP, etc) their application
uses, etc.

AK LUG is full of people who have worked with every level of their
preferred technology, thus the knowledge level. I'll agree with
William: the level of expertise on this list has been a great help!

Oh, and I'll plug my "skills vs. theory" post again. :)
http://joshuakugler.com/archives/16-Skills-vs.-Theory-Which-Should-Be-Taught.html

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com