[aklug] Re: Quick copy when you can't use rsync or scp?

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 08:44:40 AKST

You probably have netcat or telnet, and tar.

On machine to back up to:

  nc -l -p 4242 > ~/backup-cluster.tar.gz

Or to extract all files to a root owned directory called /backuplocation:

  nc -l -p 4242 | sudo tar xfvz - -C /backuplocation

From cluster box:

  tar cvz --one-file-system / | nc backupmachine 4242

You don't need the v argument on tar.. but it's handy.