[aklug] Re: Looking to build a new PC..

From: Alan C. <alan@caruth.org>
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 13:17:04 AKST

I've had pretty good luck with shipping rates to Alaska from NewEgg. Not =
free, but I purchase things occasionally from them and can't say I've =
felt gouged in the last few years. I think my last fairly large order =
cost me about $25 to ship to AK.

Recently I went through the "build a new PC" process with a friend, and =
after all was said and done he ordered a PC through CyberPower PC =
(http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/). They have some good and some bad =
feedback online, but he has been extremely happy with his purchase. =
Their selection of parts definitely gives that build your own feel, =
without actually doing it (they let you pick the make/model of pretty =
much everything, including items like heatsinks, cases, motherboards, =
etc.).

-Alan

On Feb 16, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Lee Brumbaugh wrote:

> All,
>=20
> My current box is getting to be 4-6 years old and cannot really be =
upgraded anymore as it uses DDR1 memory and has a AGP video slot, so =
I've started looking at putting together new hardware. I've been =
reading various deal website forums to try to find decent prices but =
they seem to mostly be to places like Newegg.com that doesn't have free =
shipping to up here. That being said, has anyone else done any =
comparative parts shopping lately and had any decent shipping prices? =
I'd go to Amazon more, but they're prices are a little bit higher which =
makes it a wash from what I can tell. Also it's been a long time since =
I've done any digging into video cards and processors. Quite a wide =
range these days it seems.