[aklug] Re: GNU/KfreeBSD

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 18 2010 - 19:56:53 AKST

Why don't you try the official FreeBSD set? Gnome and KDE are well tested in
that environment or are heavily patched for FreeBSD. FreeBSD is simply
different than Gnu/Linux and you can;t just replace the kernel. Different
libc and unix utilities. It does not come with gnu utils or bash but you can
install it in /usr/ports by simplying typing make in /usr/ports/gnome. There
are thousands of makefiles that can check for dependencies and install any
package that is port of the FreeBSD port system. I believe FreeBSD has
binary packages now (I have not touched it since 2005) so it may be even
easier.