[aklug] Re: Need help repairing an Ubuntu raid 5 array

From: Peter Michael <michael_peter_ra@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Dec 28 2009 - 01:19:27 AKST

Clay,
Just for information
In general fsck should NEVER be run to fix disk errors in a Raid 5 array..because .RAID-5 arrays do not contain a file
system that fsck can read,so you
cannot use fsck to do preliminary checking and/or repair; you must
use ckraid
The ckraid command can be safely run without the --fix option
to verify the inactive RAID array without making any changes.
When you are comfortable with the proposed changes, supply
the --fix option.
If you wish, you can try designating one of the disks as a ''failed
disk''. Do this with the --suggest-failed-disk-mask flag.
Only one bit should be set in the flag: RAID-5 cannot recover two
failed disks.
The mask is a binary bit mask: thus:
    0x1 == first disk
    0x2 == second disk
    0x4 == third disk
    0x8 == fourth disk, etc.
Some other tidbits learned at big blues disk recovery school are ---
If two drives in an array have bad sectors, then the array will not function properly even after a repair,
In fact it is very seldom the array will actually rebuild if it does however it will soon error out and you will be back where you started,
The recommended procedure on dual disks in a raid 5 array having sector errors is Replacement of both drives and recovering your data from back up to the devices
You might also consider defining an additional drive as a hot spare in the array, doing this will in the future allow failover of a disk to the hot spare sparing you the problems you now have.
hope this helps a bit

Pete