[aklug] Re: VOIP on ClearWire

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 27 2009 - 15:56:24 AKST

That probably depends on how you want to access it ...

I know clearwire blocks incoming on ports 80 & 25 (many, if not most,
ISPs do). There is a lot of talk on the internet about other peer to
peer stuff being throttled.

I have used Skype and gizmo5 over clearwire. They worked fine when I
tried them, but I don't use them regularly and haven't in the last
couple of months.

The only wireless ISP service I've been told doesn't block anything is
AT&T. They also aren't widely available (I can't get it). Who know what
will happen if the service gets more widespread and they too get
inundated with people who don't know what they're doing attempting to
run web & mail services from home.

I don't think you should run into many blocked port issues with an
Asterisk box if all it's doing is running Clearwire's voip. Beyond that,
I suspect you may need to figure on having to use some sort of port
forwarding service.

Someone did do some testing with a server on clearwire to see what
services they could run:
http://cybertiggyr.com/sx8/

Jim G