[aklug] Linux game / programming

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Fri Nov 27 2009 - 12:59:25 AKST

I was looking for a submarine game and found "Danger from the deep". This game goes way beyond anything I was expecting. Its a World War II submarine simulation. You play the part of the Germans. It's too bad you can't be the good guys. Here's the cool part.

1. Realistic submarine simulation with diving etc...
2. Realistic torpedo's that make firing tricky
3. You can be killed

Did you know there were torpedo's that went out 800 meters, made a 90 degree turn and continued doing so until they hit something? I didn't.

The game is open source. I've been trying to get the code so I can compile the latest version. The subversion download takes a while. I'll have to stup a system to download it one night.

I wish I was a programmer cause I would love to see how this was put together. Can one of you programmer types look at the code and give the rest of use a simple explanation? What tools did they use? How did they create the 3D world?

That might be a lot to ask for but I'm curious.

LINK: http://dangerdeep.sourceforge.net/

--
Ubuntu User
Open Source Evangelist