[aklug] Making a temperature sensor

From: Bob at Estiminc <bob@estimations.com>
Date: Sat Nov 21 2009 - 14:37:48 AKST

I'm interested in making up my own temperature=20
sensors using National Semiconductor LM34 IC's.=20
It looks like a transistor, a small can with=20
three wires coming out of it. Connect one wire to=20
ground, the 2nd to 5VDC and the third puts out a linear +10.0 mV/=B0F.

spec sheet: http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM34.html#Overview

My idea is to solder up the cable connections,=20
shrink some heat tube around each leg, slip it=20
all into a short length of 1/4" copper tube and=20
seal it all up with some sort of potting compound.

I have a couple of questions. First of all, does=20
this sound like a good approach? Any better ideas? Hints? Tips? Tricks?

Secondly, I'm looking for recommendations or=20
thoughts on a good potting compound -- something=20
thermally conductive but electrically insulating.=20
Is RTV silicon a suitable candidate?

Bob Crosby