[aklug] Re: The Paradox...

From: Aaron A. <akbeancounter@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 10:43:30 AKST

--- On Fri, 11/13/09, Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us> wrote:

> if a guy drops below twelve
> credits, he is no longer considered a "full time" student,
> and so he has to start paying his student loans back,
> and he isn't eligible for financial aid
> or student work positions... something of a
> vicious cycle there.

In my experience, student loan deferrals only require that you attend half-time (usually 6 undergrad credits). I suppose some private lenders could have different rules, but my federal and ACPE loans only require half-time attendance. Job requirements will likely vary by school and by position; I can't say anything meaningful there because I never worked on campus.

> seems like their just isn't any
> break from homework.

> The general expectation from
> most teachers
> is that a person will spend "2 hours outside of class on
> homework for
> every 1 hour in the classroom."

That makes sense to me; 12-15 credits is considered "full time attendance" because you're expected to spend about 40 hours a week on school activities. Unfortunately, few of us can afford to /only/ attend school, so we have to put in 20-40 more hours of paid labor, plus family obligations, plus hobbies and extra-cirricular activities, plus...

I know where you're coming from, though; even when you're not in class or reading textbooks, school is sometimes all you can think about. On more than one occasion, I found myself mentally sketching out a program's logic while running on a treadmill or out at dinner trying to think about anything /but/ my assignments.

As my Intermediate Accounting professor told us (probably not verbatim, 'cuz this was years ago),
"Embrace the complexity. If [accounting] were easy, it wouldn't scare people as much, and we wouldn't get paid nearly as much to take it off their hands."

--
Aaron A.
akbeancounter@yahoo.com