[aklug] Re: Google Wave

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Sun Nov 01 2009 - 10:45:17 AKST

Royce and I exercised the video gadget fron 6rounds last weekend ( I
had same thoughts in mind)

While wave is intriguing it is anarchic in so many respects, so
resource intensive and so buggy I think it is largely a toy for quite
a while. For remote attendance dimdim would be a much better and
simpler choice in the short run.

The promising bit in many respects the open ability to share rich
media, but the app and bandwidth available make that promise real only
on tomorrows campus.

I have also played on matt bury's wave ( he made one public) and
worked quite a number of apps, including doing asciimath and jsxmath
using HTML gadget, playing chess, etc. Painful...... But given a
fresh CPU for each wave and the latest quad core max ram box running
chrome (FF is to slow and unreliable for wave) as well as unlimited
bandwidth and you could get some collaboration done providing you are
a geek.

Google would have been better off improving google docs so the native
format was odt, not HTML.

Had wave been more of a way to weave local resources (app to app) I
would be much more impressed

Btw, google PDF preview is looking VERY nice and is reason to get PDFs
indexed despite the pain of spiders