[aklug] Re: AT&T femtocell service

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Fri Oct 16 2009 - 08:59:46 AKDT

It's for those conflicted people that live in a Faraday cage but still
want cell service.

The introduction of this product means a lot to me and others that
want to get cellular service in rural areas like the Pribiloff
Islands. Unfortunately this product has a built in GPS so that AT&T
can keep the FCC from knocking on their door and killing the product.
If I were to bring one of these devices to the Pribiloff islands where
AT&T may not own or lease a certain frequency range it may be an FCC
violation. However, just like portable FM radios, the output of these
units is minimal.

So, if I were to hack the onboard SiRF III GPS device and have it
report Anchorage coordinates.. My Anchorage number would be
transparently roamed into my area over the Internet. I'd be
making/taking calls to/from an intra-state area which enters into a
very gray area of how intra-state mobile costs work.

This product, as neat as it is, is most likely a regulation nightmare.

If AT&T were super smart, which we all know they are right!, they
would offer a buy back of femtocell modems from individuals in fringe
areas after using the GPS coordinates to establish where they should
put up new cells. That would make the buy in a bit more justified.