[aklug] Re: convert Vmware img to Vbox img

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sun Sep 20 2009 - 23:40:05 AKDT

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:40:21 -0800
Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net> wrote:

> Okay I thought I would give it a try. I used a howto from:
> http://ubuntulinuxhelp.com/converting-vmware-images-to-virtualbox-a-simple-method/
>
> It is never quite that simple, below is my dir for my apache2 web
> appliance. As you can see there is multiple .vmdk files. The one that
> works is the flat file. apache2-flat.vmdk > apache2.bin > apache2.vdi
>
> I think the flat file is a result of my allocating all disk space
> instead of selecting the 'grow' option during the build.
>
> Next I will try my W2K install :-)

Okay, I tried converting two Windows VM's, no joy.. Windows 2K starts up
but quickly halts, NT4 says not operating system found, bummer. The
Linux VM converted just fine... go figure :-) I can vaguely remember
imaging/boot issues with Windows. I don't think I will save any time by
converting, best re-install.

--
Peace
Greg Madden