[aklug] dkms

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sat Sep 19 2009 - 15:24:25 AKDT

I was wondering how vendors, like Dell, could stick with a distro long
after the Linux community as moved on. I stumbled across 'dkms', it has
been around since 2003/4, developed by Dell to provide driver support
outside the kernel release cycle, thats a paraphrase by me :-). It seems
like a good way for hardware vendors to support their hardware, not
necessarily bypassing the free software ethos since they have to supply
source code.

Anyone use it?

I noticed it is in Debian unstable, so it may be in the next Debian stable
release.

--
Peace
Greg Madden