[aklug] Re: Basic Linux information

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Sep 16 2009 - 23:49:31 AKDT

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Jon wrote:

> No, I don't care, neither will a new user, until he understands what
> that means in the FOSS world view. How many of us already have made the
> decision to go ahead and use those codecs or software, I know I have.

I think you're missing the point. We can all install that software on *our*
systems because we have to individually agree to the licenses. If you were
to post a livecd or what have you with that software preinstalled you may
very likely performing an illegal action. Not saying it's right, it just
is.

> It accomplishes not having to help the new user get these things working
> before they can start using it on a daily basis. It's 2009 and the cli
> is not what people expect from a computer. The Internet is what people
> want computers for, the apps listed above make sure that this content
> works out of the box.

Which doesn't change my point, though, does it?

> It will gain you a user that once they understand what they can do, will
> not want to go back. Now they want to explore because they are free to
> do so. Now were are beginning to sow a user and reap a hacker.

I disagree, I find your assumption very naive and unrealistic. The fact is
if you're making it *that* easy is a prerequisite for a person to try the
software in the first place it's highly probable they don't and won't care
how the system works. They won't explore, they'll consume the digital
content in the apps you've already configured for them.

> Make it that easy? By just making sure some basic functionality is
> there at install? All we are doing is making sure that video's play,
> MP3's play, video content on the web can be viewed.

None of which is necessary for them to learn about this new platform. They
only need to be literate and familiar with the browser and search engine
that's already working. And, if they want that extra stuff, they can have
it with (probably) a few quick googles. And guess what, they've just learnt
something new about the platform. Something they probably wouldn't have
otherwise.

> Here! Here! I accept sir, I just want to than...I believe that Beyonce
> is better...damn Kayne.

:-) I expect you to have his hair cut when I see you tomorrow. Well, at
least on the side of your head... ;->

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die