[aklug] Re: Basic Linux information

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Wed Sep 16 2009 - 17:23:16 AKDT

Quoting jonr@destar.net:

> Quoting Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>:
>
>> No! Those unwilling to lift a finger to help themselves will not be
>> benefitted by having someone act for them. Those who are willing to
>> help themselves deserve support and encouragement.
>
> I never said "do everything for the new user". What I did try to point
> out is that if you can give them a good base with the apps that they
> use everyday they will be more willing to stay and learn.
>
> You are making an assumption of what I meant and are wrong.

I don't know what happened but it sent before I finished.

First of all, I replied to a thread and it did not die, Huzzah!

All I want is to give a new user to Linux the apps that they use now.

I didn't list out hand holding, I didn't say we would do it all for
them, I didn't say they should never learn, I didn't say that we go to
their house and fix their system, did I? No.

What did I list 47 applications and 76 different configurations? No.
Here is what I see as what is needed:

Email
Flash
PDF Viewer
Java
Shockwave
DVD and Movie player (MPlayer, Xine, Totem)
MP3 player and on RH systems how to get mp3's to work.

Is it really that frikkin hard to make sure those work? By making
those few apps work from the gate constitute doing everything for the
new user? Gimme a break.

Jon - List master of the day! -