[aklug] Re: Basic Linux information

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Wed Sep 16 2009 - 15:53:29 AKDT

But Arthur, I agree with you almost entirely! And have sat kids down
with pieces-lol. The point I was trying to make vis-a-vis the netbooks
is just as you noted, it is our learned prejudices that guide our
behavior, and the path to wider usage of Linux (as opposed to broader
technological know how) is to put the product in play as it were.

I write wiki based docs for an open software web app. When I speak of
documentation I am not limiting my refernce to a readme or file
headnotes, but the task is daunting as the target is ever moving and
so many find it easier to demand that I provide a private recitation ;)

If the focus here is to engender RTRAkLinux, then maybe you want to
adopt an image, create static docs to support same, etc. If the
purpose is to simply increase Linux users, go for the kids. If the
purpose is to promote rational exploration and use of an open OS, then
perhaps .......