[aklug] Re: Documentation

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Tue Sep 15 2009 - 12:03:58 AKDT

<ramble>
Ahhhh, documentation.... I've spent some time developing
documentation for open software, and unfortunately often those most
insistent are those least willing to spend a newton to look, read,
reflect. In sum I would have to argue that community documentation is
all too often so far behind the curve fir so many reasons that it is
not cost effective; thankfully there are those who nevertheless impale
themselves on such ventures ;)

On the practical side though I have been looking at OO extensions and
there are a number that I have been playing with for different
purposes (E-scape and eTOK for example)

But, I still think the wiki is the best choice for documentation if
you have an active community with thick skins (nothing I hate more
than inaccurate info-common example is managing php.ini files), though
it would be nice to have a robust wiki extension for exporting to OO
(that is still developing) so that docs created and maintained in wiki
can be easily offered up (and automagically updated) in other formats.
</ramble>