[aklug] Re: Documentation

From: Roger <rogerx@sdf.lonestar.org>
Date: Tue Sep 15 2009 - 10:48:27 AKDT

> > I know people hate doing documentation. However, I think AKLUG needs
> > some linux documentation. I have been at Friday night lab sessions
> > where Linux installations have taken a lot longer then they should.
> >
> > If someone asks about multimedia support for one of the top
> > distributions, we should have an answer. A step by step guide. I
> > think it should take no more then 5 minutes, not including download
> > time. That means no more searching google for the answer.
> >

> This is pretty general, Damien. Can you take your example a little
> further? What would the document look like if someone asks about
> multimedia support?
>
> How about an outline or something?

Although I'm completely new to the list and not even around Anchorage,
thought I'd push some input anyways on this general topic...

From what most of us has seen, this task is best handled by the general
Linux HowTo's and/or Distro HowTo's (or wiki pages ... ie:
gentoo-wiki.com).

Due to the fact multimedia is completely dependent upon the Distro of
choice (ie. RedHat/Fedora), the Distro may completely omit proprietary
software or anything non-GPL. As such, installation of multimedia
software can vary greatly, from little hassle (as with Gentoo and
Mandrake) to installing multimedia software from scratch (ie.
Fedora/Ubuntu).

As such, instead of multimedia being an after thought when choosing a
Distro, it's usually the *first* thing that should be considered prior
to choosing & installing a Distro. (So obviously, when somebody asks
questions about multimedia support after an install...)

Gentoo makes it easy. Packages are already in Portage. Just install
them & configure if needed.

Fedora/Ubuntu, you likely still need to go to a separate mirror as
non-GPL is frowned on.

Mandrake/Mandriva - It has it's own PLF mirror for all non-proprietary
software. It usually is already setup to do flash and other usual
things unlike Fedora or Ubuntu.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org