[aklug] Re: Faxing and cell phones

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu Aug 20 2009 - 16:03:34 AKDT

I'd love to work on a side project like this if my darn Non-compete didn't prohibit me. However if
I were to do such a thing.. it would be done thusly.

Either an 8 line POTS hunt group a modem pool (lowest cost recovery) or a fractional PRI from ACS
(highest cost recovery)

8 Line hunt <> modem pool <> hylafax (avantfax frontend)

To me this means you can set up several virtual extensions pointing to your 8 line hunt group and
sell them.. very costly per virtual line. All outbound faxes would be unidentified via ANI however
identified generically via fax header which isn't that universal.

-OR-

fractional PRI <> asterisk <> iaxmodem pool <> hylafax (avantfax frontend)
                       \
                        \ <> Other products

This would provide 8 to 23 channels of lovely all digital voice into an asterisk server. The first
100 DID are usually free and come in a contiguous block. You can reserve the first 50 for FAX and
other local voice services and use the latter half for external services like DID resale. Asterisk
can do whatever you tell it to do as long as you have the programming moxy, it makes for a good PBX
as well as generic PSTN/VoIP gateway which can be programmed through external scripts.

iaxmodem is a spandsp based product that operates very smoothly. It sets up /dev/ttyIAX[0-z]
depending on your configuration and hylafax can operate cleanly on top of each of the character
devices. I am currently using this setup internally where I work.

Avantfax is a usable hylafax web portal which draws it's configuration from a database. A
programmer with some go-get-em could set up a fax-service-in-a-box solution that would operate well
enough. If only there were a better way to federate the boxes and use hylafax protocol between
them. Oh wellz.

I'm open to questions if anybody is interested. Jim it is very tempting to just set this up on my
own and see if it profits.. sigh.. dang job security.

- Shane