[aklug] Re: Faxing and cell phones

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 20 2009 - 15:49:15 AKDT

I was tempted a while back to set up something akin to efax for the
local market. I haven't been able to come up with phone numbers/lines at
a price to make it monetarily feasible.

Copper at $25 to $35 per month per line just doesn't cut it.

I can get voip lines at a reasonable price from Clearwire, but not
enough upstream bandwidth to make it practical. At 256K max up, if I
started getting very many faxes to deal with ...

I suspect that with the 8Mb, potential anyway, upload of AT&Ts might put
a small fax service within reach. What would be needed though, is the
availability of a couple dozen(?) incoming phone numbers at a workable
price.