[aklug] Re: Speed up the internet

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 08:36:55 AKDT

Robert Crowe wrote:
> This one is certainly not Debian/Ubuntu specific. It's about speeding up web
> surfing. Add these lines to /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 doubleclick.net
> 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
> 127.0.0.1 ad.ca.doubleclick.net
> 127.0.0.1 adremote.timeinc.net
> 127.0.0.1 adsremote.scripps.net
> 127.0.0.1 a.as-us.falkag.net
> 127.0.0.1 interclick.com
> 127.0.0.1 a1.interclick.com
> 127.0.0.1 media.fastclick.net
> 127.0.0.1 network.realmedia.com127.0.0.1 doubleclick.net
>
> Of course this will keep you from seeing a lot of groovy advertising.

See http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm.

It says it's for Windows, but it works just fine if you append it to
your /etc/hosts file.

There's a few hundred lines of ad sites. Every time I get on a browser
w/o either adblock or this hosts file I'm amazed that anyone puts up
w/all the ads. I wouldn't care if they were static, but all the
flashing and scrolling banners drive me to distraction...

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska