[aklug] Re: Looking for a small ARM computer

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 13:06:08 AKDT

No, not ARM only. Just looking for a very-low-power computer to put in a
remote location and use socat to talk to serial devices on the remote
end. Yes, I know there are cheaper alternatives (e.g. Moxa's device
servers) but we're looking at something where we can have a full-blown
linux computer on the remote end to help us troubleshoot problems more
easily, do additional monitoring, etc.

On Friday 24 July 2009, Shane R. Spencer said something like:
> I have some wrap boards with enclosure (2) and wireless cards.. not
> asking a lot. Not ARM. What do you need the units for? Are you
> doing ARM only development?
>
> - Shane
>
> Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > I'm looking for an ARM computer (already in an enclosure, ready to
> > go), something like this:
> > http://www.moxa.com/product/UC-7122_UC-7124-CE.htm
> >
> > Debian or uClinux, enough ram to be useful, four serial ports, 1
> > LAN, SD would be nice. No VGA needed.
> >
> > I'm being overwhelmed with options, and don't really know where to
> > start looking.
> >
> > The reason I'm asking when I've already found the Moxa is that the
> > Moxa unit is $500, and I'd like to pay less than that. :) Anyone
> > have any recommendations or experiences to share?
> >
> > Thanks!

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com