[aklug] Re: Linux.com Up and Running

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Thu May 28 2009 - 08:49:26 AKDT

Christopher Howard wrote:
> Kevin Miller wrote:
>> Christopher Howard wrote:
>>> I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but Linux.com has
>>> been back into operation for several weeks now.
>>>
>>> For those of you who weren't aware, Linux.com used to controlled by
>>> Sourceforge until several months ago when they transferred ownership to
>>> the Linux Foundation.
>>>
>>> A lot of us in the Linux.com community were pretty miffed at the
>>> disruption of services. But with the revamping LF has done, it looks
>>> like it was worth the wait. Forums, articles, contests, blog trackers...
>>> it all looks pretty cool.
>> OK, maybe I'm just an idiot, but linux.com doesn't seem to be anything
>> but headlines and opener paragraphs for me. I go to the main site,
>> click on a topic of interest and it takes me to a page w/an abbreviated
>> opening paragraph and nothing else of substance. No addition links to
>> read the full article or nothing. It says I have to register to leave
>> comments - fair enough - but I don't want to comment. I just want to
>> read the stupid article.
>
>> So what's the secret to using this nifty new site?
>
>> ...Kevin
>
> Which part were you clicking on? For most of the site you can click on
> the "read more" links and that seems to work. For the box on the top
> left of the front page, click on the headline inside the picture, and
> that takes you to the main article.
>
> Be sure to check out the sections in the community section too.
> Especially the forums, community blogs, and events. The seem to keep
> their "Distribution News" updated pretty frequently (under the
> Distribution Central menu) which is pretty helpful.
>
> They're still in a fairly young state, so this would be a good time to
> make a suggestion through the "contact" link in the footer. I made a
> suggestion the other day and saw it implemented two days later.

I clicked on this link:
http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/13082-converting-linux-users-to-windows

Do you get more than a come-on paragraph?

Other articles have a whole story and/or links to other sites where you
can find the article. But some just seem to be five line dead ends.

I haven't delved too deeply - but will look around it more. If their
editor doesn't go get himself a cup of coffee or something soon though
it'll be a short visit...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb