[aklug] Re: My virtual server on Amazon

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Sun May 17 2009 - 15:03:40 AKDT

True... However, so much of what we do is in the cloud. Email and shopping =
are good examples. There's encryption for email but people don't use it. Ou=
r credit card info is encrypted during the transaction process but it's sit=
ting on a server somewhere. That's how the bad guys get it.

I think it depends on what kind of data we're talking about. What I post on=
 my blog doesn't need to be encrypted. Documentation about server settings =
is another story. I might want to keep that safe...=20

Data security will be come a big issue as more and more people use web base=
d applications. Google docs is a good example. How safe are ones doc's on G=
oogle?=20

There's no simple answer. I'll watch what I put in the cloud but I'm not ta=
king the paranoid approach.=20

NOTE
My Ubuntu server image on Amazon is encrypted. It can't be started with out=
 my X.509 cert.=20