[aklug] Re: My virtual server on Amazon

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Sun May 17 2009 - 14:29:38 AKDT

Somebody somewhere has a funny saying about "Better than nothing".
Just remember that your encryption key is in memory on a box somewhere
that's out of your control.. And cryptsetup needs to be validated
against your package repository before being used. Virtual server
environments are fun because of all the security problems they impose.

When storing data to an offsite backup system I always back up the
result of an encrypted block device, file, or stream. Like when using
ecryptfs or encfs, you back up the encrypted directory using tools like
rsync since you'll never be able to decypher the names using, say, tab
completion. You just have to back up the entire thing.

When using duplicity you pipe the output of their stream archive format
through GPG running on a local host. This way you control everything
assuming you are in control of your own box.

Anyways.. it doesn't need to be this tight if the data doesn't require
it. But encryption is next to useless if you're doing the processing on
a virtual machine on top of a host that you have no control over.

Shane

Damien Hull wrote:
> This is true. Couple of things to remember...
> 1. This is all web data...
> 2. No different then a real server in some far off data center
>
> There are exceptions...
> 1. Email
> 2. Groupware applications that allow users to upload files etc...
>
> I'm looking at encrypting my data. That doesn't include /etc... Amazon has a service called the "Elastic Bloc Service" or EBS for short. Luks Format for block level data encryption... If the EBS block device is mounted my data is wide open. However, snapshots would be encrypted...
>
> It's better then nothing...

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature