[aklug] Re: New MySQL installation - feeling dumb

From: Matt Grimm <matt.t.grimm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 12 2009 - 20:26:43 AKDT

See the following advice from the MySQL documentation:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html#resetting-permissions-unix

A fresh MySQL installation does not assign a password to the root user, so
if it is prompting you for one, you may need to use the technique above to
reset root's password (this is not the same as the system root password).

m.