[aklug] Re: What certifications should one have?

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Sun May 03 2009 - 09:42:38 AKDT

On Sun, 3 May 2009, Robert Crowe wrote:

> I used to read this quite a bit when I lived in Montana. My girlfriends best
> friend received her A+ and couldn't stop at just being a help desk person so
> she went after her CCNA as well. Chatting with her (she interacted with a
> lot of IT professionals-they put a lot of emphasis on education. She
> wrangled a contract that if she gets certain certs on her own than the
> company would fund part of her b.s. Good read btw:
> Certification Magazine <http://www.certmag.com/>

She's certainly right, if you're not willing to be a lifelong student
(unofficially or otherwise) you're in the wrong field. Most mid to large
sized companies offer tuition assistance if your courses are work-related.
So, getting a CS degree should always be doable as an IT professional.

Again, something I actually need to do myself...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die