[aklug] Re: New Linux Profesional Instute exams

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 20:42:46 AKDT

Perhaps we should host a "How to get pwned and the commands that would
have saved your butt" seminar?

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Arthur Corliss
<acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 May 2009, Damien Hull wrote:
>
>> Okay, maybe the commands are there but we don't use them any more. Thing=
s like "pwconv". That was on the old test. There were one or two commands I=
 couldn't find on my Ubuntu system. They might have been red hat commands.

> It's true that most, if not all, distributions use shadow passwords by
> default now. =A0But, as part of the shadow suite, it's extremely importan=
> that you a) know what software is installed on your system, b) why they'r=
> there, which should lead you to c) how it works (shadow passwords
> specifically) and they benefits they provide.
>
> And, you never know if you might be called into to add a new workstation
> into a legacy NIS network, in which case knowing pwunconv, et al, is
> essential.
>
> As for the RH commands, if they were teaching the little distro-specific
> helper scripts instead of the actual commands doing the work in the
> background, they should be flogged.
>
>> There were some questions on XFree86. I would be surprised if any of the=
 config tools were still around. I can't remember any off the top of my hea=
d.