[aklug] Re: New Linux Profesional Instute exams

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 19:42:33 AKDT

On Friday 01 May 2009, Damien Hull wrote:
> Okay, maybe the commands are there but we don't use them any more. Things
> like "pwconv". That was on the old test. There were one or two commands I
> couldn't find on my Ubuntu system. They might have been red hat commands.

Still present on Debian Lenny:

$man pwconv

PWCONV(8) System Management Commands PWCONV(8)

NAME
       pwconv, pwunconv, grpconv, grpunconv - convert to and
       from shadow passwords and groups

SYNOPSIS
       pwconv

       pwunconv

       grpconv

       grpunconv

DESCRIPTION
       The pwconv command creates shadow from passwd and an
       optionally existing shadow.

Although this was originally a Sarge box, so maybe it's just left over from
the good 'ole days. My other desktop started life as a Woody box so it's
even older. I'll check a new Lenny install at work & see if it's there.

> There were some questions on XFree86. I would be surprised if any of the
> config tools were still around. I can't remember any off the top of my
> head.

Yeah, with the new configless Xorg (guaranteed to work 90% of the time!) many
of the old tools like xf86cfg aren't installed anymore.