[aklug] Re: Backups

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 10:31:44 AKDT

> I use and recommend Disk Dirvish (http://www.dirvish.org) for disk based =
backup.
> =A0This is a few perl scripts which use differential rsync with hard link=
s to keep
> many versions of backup without wasting space by keeping many copies of t=
he same
> file. =A0I have been using it for two years without a problem. =A0How oft=
en a backup
> is taken and how long each backup is kept is fully configurable. =A0I kee=
p hourly
> backups for 24 hours, daily backups for a week, weekly backups for a mont=
h and
> monthly backups for a year. =A0Restores can be done with an rsync in the =
other
> direction.

I like dirvish. The only reason (AFAIR) I chose rdiff-backup is that
rd-b uses compressed deltas, which can save a lot of space when you
have large files that change only a little bit. Both use rsync (gotta
have it for my WAN links). But dirvish uses more space. If you stored
dirvish on a compressed file system, though, that rd-b advantage might
go away.

fwiw,
jermudgeon