[aklug] Re: Backups

From: Mark Neyhart <Mark_Neyhart@legis.state.ak.us>
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 08:38:27 AKDT

Christopher Howard wrote:
> Just thinking about my backups... I currently have a fairly simply
> backup system with rsync copying the data to my backup server as part of
> a nightly cron job.
>
> Do any of you guys do anything more complicated, like diff or
> incremental backups? The downside of my current method is that I can
> only pull backups from the night before (rather than, say, get a backup
> from three days ago). I was pondering some kind of weekly full backup +
> daily incremental backup scheme, but not quite sure how to do that.

I use and recommend Disk Dirvish (http://www.dirvish.org) for disk based backup.
 This is a few perl scripts which use differential rsync with hard links to keep
many versions of backup without wasting space by keeping many copies of the same
file. I have been using it for two years without a problem. How often a backup
is taken and how long each backup is kept is fully configurable. I keep hourly
backups for 24 hours, daily backups for a week, weekly backups for a month and
monthly backups for a year. Restores can be done with an rsync in the other
direction.