[aklug] Re: Backups

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 21:28:21 AKDT

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us> wrote:

> Just thinking about my backups... I currently have a fairly simply
> backup system with rsync copying the data to my backup server as part of
> a nightly cron job.
>
> Do any of you guys do anything more complicated, like diff or
> incremental backups? The downside of my current method is that I can
> only pull backups from the night before (rather than, say, get a backup
> from three days ago). I was pondering some kind of weekly full backup +
> daily incremental backup scheme, but not quite sure how to do that.

I use several tools, before I go on I'd like to say.. bottom posting
is a chore.. *pause* .. alright back to my train of thought.

My #1 favorite backup tool is hands down rsnapshot due to it's hard
links, ability to back up local and remote hosts, and straight forward
one liner or full script expandibility.

#2 on the list has to be duplicity for it's security. It stores tars,
but it does so in vfarious different ways and includes some swift
backup rotation capabilities. It's config file is basically whatever
you pass on the command line. GPG encryption is optional, you can use
any streamable compression system, and you can store the file index
both locally and remotely for super quick backup prep and index
viewing for restores. You can truly do any sort of evil with this
system as long as you can write a script.

Then #3 is backuppc since non-administrators can use it to restore
files. Very well done system but not totally what I need for my crazy
life. Works well for work environments.

And lets just throw storebackup in there. If rsync could compress,
this would be it.

So great are backups!

Oh.. FSVS has an honerable mention. Full System Versioning System.
It's how you abuse subversion to do backups of important files and
store them FOREVER.

- Shane